Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Customer Service Skills

I am very concerned with the lack of customer service skills today. I have worked in about every customer service job available throughout my years, so I have a bit of experience. You may remember I hate talking to people, so I know how to pretend to care about customers and their concerns. I do it quite well actually, most of the time.

My husband and mother-in-law were at a juice smoothie type establishment waiting for their order. Evidently only two young ladies were working and it was quite busy. When a new group of customers entered, one of the girls sighed and said "Jesus Christ!" Several customers heard her, including my husband and mother-in-law.

Yesterday, my husband tricked me into purchasing a PlayStation game. The young lady at the register didn't know how to do an exchange, so she asked her supervisor for help. He made fun of her for not knowing and then did it for her, instead of teaching her. He then answers a phone call and leaves her on her own. Something isn't working, so she just says, "this sucks" and "crap" several times. She figures out the exchange and gets us out the door.

Over the last few days I have been dealing with a certain cable/satellite company on trying to disconnect our service before we move. Long story short, I was mistakenly signed up for a 2 year contract and cannot get out of it without paying a hefty cancellation fee. 30 minutes of my life, I would love to have back, spent trying to convince this rude guy that I did NOT get a 2 year contract resulted in me allowing the cancellation fee and extreme disappointment in myself.

Today a customer service representative, from the cable/satellite company, calls to make amends for my cancellation. She tells me she is going to erase the fee and set me up with all this wonderful stuff. Hey, now we are talking, someone finally understands customer service. Oh wait, she keeps interrupting me, while I'm trying to tell her we went with another company. When she finally does stop and listen she hangs up on me, without fixing my cancellation fee.  

I am curious as to what happened to customer service training. Don't people have to watch those awful videos anymore? More importantly, whatever happened to "The customer is always right?" I hated that when I was on the other side of the counter, however I realized the importance. It is way more important to make the customer happy and have them return, then piss them off and have them take a few customers with them. Business depends on customers buying your product or service. If this very simple process doesn't work, you go out of business.  

Not only does this include making your customers happy, it also means that your staff should be polite and well-mannered. Actually stop talking or arguing with me and listen to what I have to say.  Even if I'm absolutely wrong, I will feel better that you took those few seconds to act as though you are listening. 

Swearing and complaining, doesn't really convince me that I want your service or product. If I had my kids with me, I would be extremely upset. I won't lie and say I haven't accidentally let slip with a naughty word or three, however it's different when I have to explain to them why they shouldn't use it when the nice waitress uses it in when she takes our order.

Am I alone in this or have I now become "old?"  I always though "old people" complain about the younger generation, have I become one of them?

Honestly, I guess I'd rather be an "old person," then think that the next generation has gone to sh%#. Either way, wish me luck, I'm going to begin my informative email to that cable/satellite company after I post this.

No comments:

Post a Comment