Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Is there a fine line between being color blind and an artist?

I am coming to terms with the fact that my daughter is either color blind or some sort of artist. Princess has this way of dressing that makes me shudder or wear sunglasses....inside...when it's dark.

For example, right now she is wearing: white tennis shoes, dark blue socks, white leggings with multi-colored hearts and a white Dolphin's (NFL team) shirt. Her argument in wearing this is, "What? It does to go together! The shirt has white on it, which matches the leggings. The socks match one of the hearts and they were near me so I could put them on."

This is one of her more bland outfits. The other day she was wearing a neon green shirt with a dark green skirt. After being told that just because they were both green didn't mean it matched, she switched to neon yellow shorts and bright pink socks. The only thing tying them remotely together was the fact that they were all neon colored.

She will wear plaid with polka dots, or stripes with patterns. She just has this "style" that I have to get used to.

I think I'm just really fortunate that her elementary school has a uniform policy. Otherwise I think our mornings would be close to awful. While other parents would be fighting about appropriate clothing, I would be stuck trying to get her to wear something that wouldn't cause people to have seizures!

I am looking forward to the future, in which this turns out just to be a phase, a rebellion, if you will. Or...she's going to be a successful artist! (Maybe I should get her to pick the colors in our bedroom, then again, maybe not...)

2 comments:

  1. I think it's a phase. My oldest had the same fashion sense. Most days I could convince her to wear something that matched a little better, others it wasn't worth the battle. Days when her dad was in charge of dressing her ... all bets were off. She's gotten better now as a 'tween' and will ask if items go together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hear the "it's just a phase" a lot, so I am starting to hold out hope. In the meantime, I'm taking lots of pictures to use for later in her life. :)

      Good luck with the tween years! From what I hear, this is when kids now know more about fashion than their parents and try to teach their parents about style. Bwah ha ha!

      Delete