Sunday, July 15, 2012

Yay! Home ownership!

I may have mentioned that we bought our first home in June. I don't want to downplay the experience to anyone who isn't in the military, because your first house is huge, it's a big deal, celebrate!

If you are in the military and somehow you manage to be stationed somewhere where owning a home makes sense, that's just AWESOME! We get to celebrate twice! First we bought a home, YIPPEE! Second, holy crap, we will be stationed in one area for more than two years, HOORAY!

Since it is the middle of July now, we've done some small house improvement projects such as painting and yard work. Now it's time to move onto the bigger things.

I'm excited, my husband is terrified.

I grew up, an only child, with a father who worked construction, until he was forced to choose a different (safer) career. (That's another post). I grew up learning certain electrical, plumbing and general construction projects that most home improvement stores try to teach people everyday. The only project that I hated and will never, ever attempt again is wallpapering. Thankfully that has gone out of style...hopefully forever.

MD and I decided that our first project probably needs to be installing a smaller toilet in the kid's bathroom. Little Dude, being...little, has some issues with the current toilet. Heck, I'm only 5'3" and I have issues with my feet touching! Evidently these are the new ADA compliant toilets, which are great for elderly and obviously handicapped persons, however for us short people, they suck...a lot.

For a couple of weeks, we have been researching toilets and browsing our local home improvement stores. After watching a few YouTube and DIY videos on installing toilets, I felt this was a project we could actually handle. MD even watched the video with me and commented that it seemed easy enough. That was all I needed, so I started researching toilets to see what was the most economical, and where to buy it.

I found one and informed him that it was indeed economical and we could pick it up the next day. MD gave me a look, that said "Uh-oh, if I seem too interested, we'll be doing this project tomorrow." I saw his weakness and said, "Which means we can install it tomorrow!" At this point, I am smiling from ear-to-ear. His first look has now turned from unsure to horrified. He then changes the subject to flooring, which is also another future project on our list. Off I go, researching flooring.

That was last night. Now I'm awake and ready to go! (In my head, is my little person rubbing their fingers together-think Mr. Burns of the Simpson's fame). I may have to drag him kicking and screaming, but after I break his home improvement fears, I think he'll be okay.

I may even post before and after photos...maybe not, it is a toilet after all! Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment