Sunday, July 22, 2012

"Even whales have menstrual cycles"

Today, we needed to relax, have fun and get out of the house all at the same time. This usually means a trip to the beach, slathering on the SPF 90, for a few hours of sand-in-every-crevice fun.

While the kids were enjoying digging a hole, MD and I were watching the waves break. I noticed that there was a lime green algae drift and then some red colored water when certain waves broke near the beach.

I mentioned the red colored water to MD because we point out these random things to each other. (After today's conversation, I'm beginning to wonder why.) He looks right at me and says, "Well, even whales have menstrual cycles."


Many hours later and I'm still not sure what to do with this statement. I even Googled "whale menstrual cycles". It seems scientists are still debating this subject. Some believe that killer whales may menstruate, but other whales don't seem too. It basically comes down to the fact that whales are in the water all the time and marine biologists seem to have better things to study than whether a whale needs a tampon or not. (Which obviously wouldn't work in the water, yes, I realize this!)

I just needed to share MD's awful statement, because of the hours of torture spent wondering and researching whales menstrual cycles. I can't even tell him he is wrong (or right) for that matter, because they just don't know!


For those of the curious nature, he went out and body surfed for awhile. He came back and informed me that it was actually red algae.

3 comments:

  1. I will never swim in the Ocean again. Thanks. PS I cant stop imagining the Playtex commercials that would run on the Discovery Channel and Animal Planet: Introducing the environmentally friendly super duper tampon, so absorbent, even whales use them! This super duper tampon can stand up to even the toughest period predators in the wild: Sharks, and Bears! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the size of a tampon applicator for a female blue whale, measured in centimeters?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stand corrected on researching whale's menstrual cycles. Looking up whale vaginas yielded much more "entertaining" results. Sadly I couldn't find even a close answer for your question, however I did find some interesting things in my search.
    For those with minds like mine, the research is still being done on whale vaginas. Evidently whale vaginas aren't very straight forward, or easy to research. They have flaps, folds and alleys that don't even make sense to whale vagina experts (yes they have them.)
    Here's a cool article if you want pictures: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2014/06/11/getting-to-know-whale-vaginas-in-seven-steps/
    I did find that a blue whale's penis averages 8-10 feet. It's interesting to note that they swim in cold water too, so I imagine they don't need the "it was cold water" excuse.

    ReplyDelete