Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Identity Crisis

Up until Sunday, I was (to my knowledge) never referred to as a sweetheart. I have been known to be sweet on rare occasions. My husband does call me sweetheart, but it is similar to "yes, dear" that it's not really an endearment, more of a statement.

I'm not really the sort of person who goes out of their way to be nice or pleasant really. I'm just me. A lot of people find me a bit abrasive and challenging. As I have said before, I'm not a people person, but I can fake it really well. My husband will be the first to tell you that I am very opinionated and seem to delude myself into believing that my opinions are indeed facts. I argue a lot, because I don't like being wrong. Even on the rare occasion when it seems that I am actually wrong, I will argue about it until the other person just gets tired or frustrated and gives up. I know that I wasn't correct, but I won the argument. It truly takes special or maybe "special" people to be my friends...I have a few.

So what did I do to receive this honorable(?) title of sweetheart? I really don't know, but it must have been good!

The story begins: a fellow father blogger (MadDadz) and his daughter came down to San Diego to watch a Padres game and my husband (Military Dad) and Princess decided to go with them.

This is probably the point at which I should mention, we've never met these people before. My husband and MadDadz' only form of communication was trading random emails or insults about each others blogs. I am a regular reader of MadDadz blog, so he sucked me into his world too. MadDadz almost seemed like someone I would love to meet, if I weren't completely antisocial.

My husband being the social-everyone-likes-me kind of guy, casually invited him to have a beer if he ever ventured down to San Diego. Fast forward a few months and MadDadz announces he is taking his kids to every baseball stadium in the Western area, guess what? Yep, San Diego is on his agenda.

How bad can he be? He's taking his kids to see a few baseball games. According to one of his blogs, his son wasn't real excited about the prospect and told him in so many words, "No!" His daughter wanted to experience it though, now the beer offer from my husband is a real thing.

Obviously with his daughter coming, a beer wasn't such a good idea, so they both agree Military Dad and Princess should join them at the game. So maybe they can just meet at the game and meet in a public place, right? Nope, my husband says, "Come on over and we'll fix you lunch before the game!" Ah jeez!

Did I mention that MadDadz is from Beverly Hills and he's a lawyer? No, I left that out? Oops. Anyway, now being the person I am, I grit my teeth, clean the house like a madwoman and figure out what we should feed these well-to-do people. My husband helps me decide that his meals (comfort food) are too heavy, because they have been on the road and eating unhealthy food. Ugh! I decide vegetarian lasagna shouldn't be too bad to make. Then I remembered he was bringing his daughter and to be honest, I wasn't sure my own children would eat the lasagna. (Insert maniacal screaming with random bits of laughter)

Contrary to my overactive imagination of being hacked up into pieces and never heard from again, they were great people to meet. What can I say, I'm really surprised I don't have ulcers.

What I realized, despite his blog, he's a lot like Military Dad, in that he is very easy to like. His daughter was absolutely wonderful. She entertained my kids and put up with their weirdness with a genuine smile on her face. She also made my husband laugh for hours with descriptions of her story characters. She even drew us pictures of most of them, I believe. There is only one character she drew that really creeps me out, one of these days the banshee character will stop haunting my dreams.

During this whole encounter, of which I had about an hour's worth of involvement, I became a sweetheart. I am having to reassess my whole outlook. What if I can actually be a sweetheart and break through my sullen exterior? It's something to think about.

But for now, my husband isn't feeling well because he ate too much for lunch, so I'm going to make him go pick up Chipotle for dinner. What can I say, I'm such a sweetheart!

No comments:

Post a Comment