Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Being a Vegetarian...Sort of

A couple of years ago I gave up eating red meat due to future health problems.  Yes, I said future.  Both of my parents have high cholesterol.  My father is able to take medication, exercise and eat reasonably healthy and keep it under control.  My mother, on the other hand, cannot take medication due to the fact that it destroys her liver.  So exercise, weight control and eating right, is now her life.  Seeing that I tend to take after my mother in looks and health, I gave up red meat and began my crusade to eat better.  Hindsight, I could have just eaten leaner cuts of meat, but prime rib doesn't fall into that category. 

My husband, bless his soul, gave it up with me.  Being that he was born and raised in North Dakota, I figured this would be similar to banned Geneva Convention torture.  He had bigger issues cutting down sugar, than the red meat.  I, on the other hand, would salivate when we drove by a Carl's Jr or Burger King, where you could smell the flame broiled goodness.  I still salivate when I see a commercial for prime rib...until recently. 

So obviously, going years without red meat, your body does in fact get used to it.  When I say this, I mean all that stuff you hear about vegetarians getting physically ill when eating meat...yep, it's true.  About a year ago, my daughter ate spaghetti at a friend's house.  Within an hour my daughter was violating the bathroom. 

About a month ago we met some dear friends at a Mediterranean restaurant, on a vacation to Utah.  In my defense, the only Moussaka I've ever had has always, (let me repeat, ALWAYS) been vegetarian.  So, about halfway through this awesome dish, I realize there are small crumbles of darkness.  Discussion ensues, yes they are in fact lamb or beef crumbles.  After safely returning to our hotel within a short amount of time, my body evacuated the beef crumbles.  So now, the commercials on TV that I used to enjoy, or perusing the meat section, now has me dry heaving.  It's sad really.

I thought this would complicate meal time in our house, but it's actually made it slightly easier.  My daughter has never been a fan of meat....or cheese (another story), and my son is a picky eater, he'll eat anything but only on his terms.  The only issue is that my husband wants to support me and do this with me; however, he is in the Navy.  You're wondering what the two have to do with each other?  Imagine yourself on a ship for 6 months at a time (or longer) and imagine a limited range of meals if you aren't vegetarian.  So now you have 6 months of salad bar, peanut butter and jelly (if you get care packages), maybe some cereal, etc.  So for now, the kids and the hubby eat meat (pork/chicken), while I nibble on my rabbit food.

No comments:

Post a Comment