Friday, August 17, 2012

My husband seems to doubt me...

Evidently, my eagerness to become home improvement diva of our house is scaring my husband. I imagined a warm reception, showered with support and praise. I was not aware that bringing home do-it-yourself books from the library would invoke some primal fear my husband has for home repair.

Last week I brought home sprinkler repair and gardening books. Being residents of California, grass....well, it sucks. I grew up in the Midwest where they have this thing called "free water that comes from the sky," also known as rain. California has "expensive water that comes from the pipes." I was trying to lay out a lovely rock and succulent garden where we could tear up the grass and sprinklers in order to save money. Military Dad keeps asking about a free estimate from some sprinkler company. Och! (Yes, I've seen Brave too!)

I just figure that I will start my sprinkler project when he is safely a thousand miles away in Department Head school. Therefore, I decided to move on to my next project: ceiling fans.

Ceiling fans are relatively easy to install....when you have existing lights. We do not. For some reason, when people build houses now, they have those stupid wall outlets that control the lighting. Yay, you saved some money not installing ceiling fixtures, but for the rest of us who have to furnish our homes with floor lamps....you suck!

I bring home two books, pictured over yonder. I bring them out of our library book bag (California thing - plastic kills people, reuse bags! Save a tree and what-not!) I proudly display them on our kitchen table. MD says, "Fine! I get the point! I'll make the appointment to update our wills!"

Um???

Cool on the updating our wills part, but I'm starting to feel there is a lack of confidence in my confidence. Now the thoughts going through my head are: if MD hires an electrician, would it be cheaper to fly my father out so I can install them myself? It would be a valuable learning experience that I may remember in the future. Plus Boppa could always entertain the kiddos while MD takes me to the hospital.

No, not for electrocuting myself. (That only happens when Boppa tells me to cut through wallpaper in order to cut out a wall outlet.) I'd go to the hospital for falling off the ladder and through the drywall....kind of like Boppa did....

No comments:

Post a Comment