Monday, March 25, 2013

I Say "Tomato", You Say "No, not that tomato a different one."

As I was forced to endure a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse show (Little Dude got a haircut), a memory from my childhood popped in for a visit. This episode featured the characters of Chip'n Dale, the chipmunks. For some reason I absolutely loved these two characters when I was a child. I am even guilty of watching Chip'n Dale's Rescue Rangers cartoons after school. 

...insert the time warp thing with Wayne's World. (I may have just revealed my age)

When I was in elementary school, we lived in a duplex. I was fortunate to live right next door to my grandmother. After school I got to go to grandma's house, eat a snack and watch some television. I would lie on her floor with a huge pillow and watch The Wonderful World of Disney (reruns, I'm not old enough for the originals). After that, I usually had to sit through Jeopardy, then my parents would rescue me after the first few minutes of Mash. (She had her shows too, I guess).

Before we moved, I spent more time with my grandmother than most grand-kids get to, especially these days. She was a major part involved in my growing up. When I was with her during the school breaks, or anytime my parents had to work, she took me everywhere. We went to Salt Lake Trapper's games (minor league baseball team...I'm pretty sure their name has changed a few times since then). She even took me to Salt Lake Golden Eagle hockey games (another minor league team).

I have several memories of attending hockey games with her that make me smile and laugh. Looking back and realizing how rough hockey can be, I'm surprised my little ol' grandma both enjoyed and took her young grandchild to see the games.

One of my favorite memories involves both a hockey game and Chip'n Dale. Grandma came over to get me for the hockey game, but for some reason she stopped to have a conversation with my parents about the game. I, of course, listened in on their conversation. (This is the conversation I remember, since it was more than 25 years ago, please forgive me for any inaccuracies.)

Grandma: I wanted to talk to you about bringing her to tonight's game. Chip'n Dales are going to perform tonight, are you okay with me taking her?

Me interrupting: Chip'n Dale?! Awesome!!! Please, mom and dad, say yes!

Grandma: Uh, not Chip'n Dale. Not the Disney characters. It's the Chip'n Dales.

I'm pretty sure my mom laughed at this point. The conversation continued, but I wasn't listening because I was excited that Chip'n Dale were going to be at my hockey game. Yahoo!

When we got to the hockey game, I had never seen it this packed with people. The Golden Eagles were a pretty good team from what I remember, but the seats were never as full as they were that night. I also remember the crowd being mostly female, mostly in their 30's and 40's. There were very few kids.

First period goes by and this big floor mat thing is rolled out on the ice. I was kind of bummed because I thought Chip and Dale should skate out! I notice my grandma start to sink into her seat. At this point she has asked me several times if I had to go to the bathroom, wanted cotton candy, peanuts, anything to get me up and out of my seat. (Important note: my grandma bought me cotton candy once. That one time resulted in cotton candy everywhere and a shower to get it out of my hair, she refused.) No chance, was I missing the show!

The carpet is rolled out, the lights go down and then spotlights center on this guy in a suit. Music starts playing and the crowd (of women) start screaming and going nuts. The guy in the suit began removing articles of clothing, dancing and then he poured oil on himself. Needless to say, I stared, open-mouthed, in horror and curiosity. I remember my grandmother had tried to sink completely into her chair, as if trying to melt or turn into the chair, I'm not sure which. Her head hanging low, she asked if I finally wanted to go to the bathroom or anything.

I came back to my seat with a soda, nachos, cotton candy, red vines and a new lesson on Chippendales and how they are NOT the same as my beloved chipmunks.


No comments:

Post a Comment