Tuesday, October 2, 2012

When it comes to shots, I am a pansy!

As I sit here nursing my homemade pumpkin smoothie after yoga class (yes, I do love California and what it has done to me), I think about the pain my upper body is in. I'm not talking just the soreness associated with working out, I am talking about that feeling you get when your muscles are fatigued and shaking uncontrollably. I love yoga right up to the point that my body says, "nope, no more" and then my legs or arms start shaking in a most epileptic manner.

I have been told several times, by several different people that my body looks like an upside down triangle or I look like I'm wearing shoulder pads, blah, blah...I get it, I have broad shoulders. For my quaint size I'd like to think that I have very good arm and shoulder strength. There are times when my husband and I tease each other; I have all the upper body strength, while he has all the lower body strength.

When I heard that today's workout focused on shoulders and arms, I was excited because that small part of me said, "Yay! I won't have to work as hard, I can work on stretching instead." I was wrong, so very wrong. In order to explain, let me back track a little and inform you how I was exposed to an embarrassing reality on Saturday.

Saturday, Princess had to go to the clinic to get a routine check-up. While we were there, we decided to get our flu shots out of the way. This is when the doctor asked if she had been tested for TB or anemia, of which I was sure she was tested for anemia when she was an infant...I remember the screaming. (Oh, the days when kids would scream while getting shots, how they will be missed.)

The doctor begins explaining the procedures to me and Princess. Princess may have missed the bit about the flu shot, but I didn't! Doctor says, "Yeah, I got my shot on Monday (doctor rubs her shoulder) and today it's just starting to feel bet....so how are you doing in school?" At the time, I was only thinking about how if Princess had heard that, she may lose her excitement.

Off we went to the lab, where Princess skipped over to the chair, sat down and began telling the technician about how she liked shots, just like her daddy. He then had the sad job of telling her she wasn't getting a shot just yet, he was going to prick her finger and squeeze out drops of blood. If this had been Little Dude, he would have said, "Cool, I'm out of here!' Princess, on the other hand, "Can I watch?" The poor technician was ready for a fight, so he sat in stunned silence for a second before he explained what he was doing while he did the test. Now the ever-important bandage is applied and she jumps up happy. The technician tells her that she is probably the bravest 6 year-old he has ever dealt with.

Now we leave the lab and head back towards the clinic for the TB test and flu shots. We try our best to manage Princess' huge ego as we manage the narrow hallways. Once in the vaccination room she climbs up on the exam table and begins explaining to the nurse that she is brave and likes shots. The nurse looks at me and asks if I needed to go first. With Little Dude I have to go first in order to show him that it really isn't that bad, I figure Princess can have her glory. I regret this decision a lot over the next couple of days.

The nurse begins explaining the TB test and Princess just watches her as she completes the procedure. The nurse explains that the flu shot will hurt when she injects her and it will hurt a few days later. At this point, I don't think Princess is listening, she almost has this happy phased out look on her face. She gets the shot, the bandage and her sticker before jumping off the exam table in excitement. It's sick, really. While she is getting the shot, I start thinking to myself, I probably should have gone first just so I don't look like a pansy. Too late.

It's my turn to get a shot, yay. Have I failed to mention that I hate shots? I understand the importance and the physical aspects of getting an injection. They aren't supposed to feel good...well to normal people, they aren't. When giving blood or getting vaccines I have to look away. Evidently, there is always a look that comes across my face because I am always asked, "Are you going to be okay?" I grit my teeth and reply that I'll be fine. The nurse has me wiggle my fingers while she injects me, this is new and very painful. I suppose it is to make the muscle in my upper arm relax, but it freaking hurts!

Everything is done and over, I get no stickers or bandage (I'm not much of a bleeder, either) and my arm hurts like someone repeatedly hit me in the exact same spot. I even look for bruising, it hurts so bad. My arm feels as though it may actually fall off at the shoulder! Princess is skipping down the hall, singing, "I got a shot, I got a shot."

This is when it hits me. My 6 year-old daughter just kicked my butt in something!

The flu shot did wear her down though, so I was glad that it did effect in her in some way. I was starting to think she was invincible. Her elementary school has a running club where kids can come before classes and run for 20 minutes. Every mile (10 laps) they get a plastic foot and the prizes get bigger the more miles they run during the school year.

On Monday, instead of her normal 14 laps in run club, she only ran 12...and she was really sweaty. I told her to walk after her 8th lap, but she just kept on chugging. Yes, I did run with her for 4 laps until I was needed to help in counting laps for the kids.

Now it is Tuesday and my arm feels as though it will fall off again. If it hadn't been "picture day" and my stern warning of not getting dirty, Princess would probably be running her own obstacle courses at recess. It's amazing to see your children do what they do, there is so much pride! It's also sad when you are forced to realize you just aren't as young and invincible as you once thought you were.

No comments:

Post a Comment