Thursday, June 6, 2013

Deep Thought for 6/11/13

I find it amazing that my dog can understand the different alarms on my phone. I use my phone for my daily alarms, so each alarm has a different sound so I instantly know which alarm is going off.

The first alarm in the morning is the "wake up and eat breakfast" alarm. Both dogs jump up and run downstairs for this alarm. If I hit snooze they slowly walk back upstairs and stare at me at the end of the bed.

The second alarm is the "go in the crate" alarm, because the people are leaving the house. 

The third alarm is the "TIME TO GO FOR A WALK" alarm. This alarm instantly means the dogs go running towards the leashes. If we are slow on the uptake, they will run from us to the leashes repeatedly, until we catch on.

I have conditioned my dogs in true Pavlovian style, therefore I should get an award. Granted, I think they (the award presenters) would expect the dogs to listen to my commands, such as "sit," "lie down," and "STOP EATING THE TISSUE BOXES!!!"

The dogs understand what these electronic noises mean and they react correctly. However, when a noise emits from their rear end, the world actually stops. Our bigger dog, Maggie, is absolutely amazed that her butt makes noises occasionally. She will get up and stare at her rear end, I guess she's waiting to see if more noises will come out. After awhile she will go back to sitting or lying down, but she will look back every few minutes, just in case. Our rat (terrier) dog, Gracie, has actually growled a few times when this happens, or she will jump up and run away from where the noise happened.

This makes me think: you know they have to feel it about to happen, they must feel it happening, why can't they associate that noise with the butt vibrations? It is truly baffling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment