Thursday, April 18, 2013

Air Travel With Children - Part 1: Packing

Alright people you have done it! This past week I spent several hours stuck in an airport (5 hours) and on two, cross-country, non-stop flights (totaling 12 hours) with my kids, I am now prepared to educate the rest of you on air travel with kids! I also have air travel with infant, air travel with toddler AND infant, and international air travel with toddler, if you doubt my experience. Unfortunately my ranting will be long and detailed so I will break this up into parts.

Part One will deal with how to pack for standard vacation travel (1-2 weeks), because there is no reason underneath the sun, why one person should need 2 bags, let alone big ones, for a short trip. No reason, don't even start! 

Part Two will deal with packing the carry-on items for keeping you and your kids entertained for several hours, while either stuck in the airport or during actual flying time.

Part Three will deal with airport and plane etiquette. Oh, yes we will discuss the tray tables and seats until it is ingrained into everyone's heads! 

Please feel free to take notes. If nothing else, my advice can save you some money and a few headaches along the way.

Part One: Packing for Sane People

I am including photos along with this for evidence that I'm not crazy and it CAN be done. I packed enough clothing into a suitcase, small enough for carry-on, for me, my 7 and 4 year old kids, for one week's worth of travel. I did not use space saver bags or any other items that need to be bought.

Here is a cost-saving tip: packing less clothing and doing laundry at your destination will cost less than paying for one (1) checked bag on some airlines! If you plan on staying with friends or family, ask ahead of time if it would be alright to do a load or two of laundry while you were there. If not, then ask them where the closest laundromat is. It's still cheaper to pay for a laundromat than to check your bag!

Also, if for some reason you have toiletries that are over the carry-on allowance, then either mail them ahead of time or buy them when you get to your destination. Mailing a package, twice, is still cheaper than paying for a checked bag.

The following is from the TSA website (http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-carry-ons)
The rule is 3-1-1, meaning you can have bottles of accepted items that are 3 ounces or less, think travel sized. All of the 3 ounce bottles you are carrying-on must fit inside a single 1 quart-sized Ziploc (brand doesn't matter) per 1 individual.

If you have to take formula, breast milk or medications, have them out and ready for inspection. They allow them within reasonable quantities, which they don't state, but I would imagine common sense would be a valuable tool.

Speaking of common sense, even if you can afford to check your bag(s), why do you need to burden yourself with so much? Also, here's another tip: since most people are trying to avoid checked baggage fees, most airlines will either gate check your bags at the gate, for free! Yes, for free. Airplanes do not have room in the overhead compartments to store a carry-on bag for every passenger on the plane, and they know this. How do they save the space and keep us moving? Yep, they gate check your bag.

Alright I've done all I can to talk you into this wonderful new method, now it's time to show you!

For 1 (ONE) week's worth of travel, this is the list of things I was able to pack:
For me:
Yes, I will get all of this inside the suitcase.
7 - pairs of undergarments
5 - pairs of socks
2 - pairs of slacks (jeans)
5 - shirts (long-sleeved)
1 - set of jammies

Princess:
Same as above with 1 additional pair of jammies

Little Dude:
Same as above with additional:
2 - pairs of jammies
7 - pull-ups
1 - extra pair of pants

Now we get down to the technique, please play close attention! I used winter clothing to prove that I could fit everything into this suitcase. Obviously traveling in the summer or going to warmer destinations would allow for more room and choices.

Shoes go in first! They also get socks and/or underwear shoved down inside them. Shoes are a wasted space, just taking up room. If you think you have stinky feet, either shove a dryer sheet in with your socks or put your socks inside a plastic bag. 

Now use the remaining socks and undergarments to take up the little spaces around your shoes and to level out the bottom of the suitcase. 

Here is the important part! Roll up your clothes: shirts, jammies, pants, etc. It removes the air space usually left when packing folded items. Think: free space saver bag!

Now, pack those rolled clothes in as tight as possible. Every space must be filled. Think: Tetris. 
Jeans and other thick pants can be tricky. Fold them in half and roll them up, starting at the waist end. 

Store flat items, such as diapers/pull-ups or books in the top half of the suitcase. The heavy flat items help weigh the insides down. It also makes it easier to close if the top isn't bulky.




Is that space still left? 

  Wow! I even have space left to bring my husband along on the trip! He'll be so happy. To further prove my point, I managed to pack him 4 pairs of undergarments and socks, a pair of jammy pants, 4 shirts and 2 pairs of jeans. (The red jammy pants were thick, so they represent a pair of jeans).


Ta Da! It was easy to close and isn't bulky either!
Should I mention that I failed to remove a set of clothing for each of us? I will cover this topic in my carry-on section, however, if you are traveling with kids, ALWAYS carry an extra set of clothes for each kid and you. I always say I don't need to...each time I have been proven very wrong!

All kidding aside, I really do hope this part helps some people with packing. I will mention that I am not a very stylish person and I have no idea what current trends are. I am very much a shirt/jeans type of girl. So if you need to carry 3 changes of clothes for one day's wear, well....you could probably still pack like above and fit it all in there.

If anyone else has some great packing tips, or airport baggage tips, please let me know. I am currently working on Part Two:  Carry-Ons for Kids (Air Travel Must Haves), so if you have any tips, I'd love to include them also!


No comments:

Post a Comment