Saturday, June 23, 2012

I'm not perfect

Wow! That was kind of hard to say! I know I'm not perfect, but you all don't know that! My husband says I'm perfect all the time, but now that I think about it, he may be lying!

Seriously though, there are very few of us who are actually perfect in any way, that's what makes us special and unique. Some people can do things others of us can't.

For example, without being formally taught, I managed to teach myself how to sew on a machine, and I do it rather well. Can't sew a button on to save my life, but I can use a machine quite well. There are other things out there I seem to have this natural ability at doing, which make me seem like a super hero to some members of my family. Mailing is not one of these things.

Mailing anything, not just packages. This is one woman who truly appreciates and knows the value of online bill-pay! If it wasn't for online shopping, I probably wouldn't get any gifts to my friends and family either.

My  husband says I have a process and if I were to send Christmas gifts in the summer months, they would get there on time. You ask, "seriously, it's June, what postal process takes 6 months to get to its destination?"

Mine!

Here is my normal timeline for mailing packages:

I buy the item and it sits on my table, or some random place, until the next step, which is wrapping the item. This first step can take weeks, months even, if I don't have the right wrapping paper! The poor item gets moved around, from place to place, until I manage to force myself to take the 2 minutes to wrap it.

Yay! Now it's wrapped, now I need to put it in a box. If I have the box, just lying around, then this process is quick and painless. If I don't have the box, add another couple of weeks.

You're thinking to yourself, "Now she only has to drive it to the post office and she's done!" Ha! I laugh out of sympathy for your thoughts. This is the step that can actually break me. 

Now the package seems to disappear into this place of limbo, where it somehow manages to become "out of sight, out of mind." The package will sit somewhere in the house, waiting patiently to make it to the car for distribution. If the package was fluorescent, or any other color than white or brown, this process could be shortened dramatically. However, the postal service seems to enjoy white and brown packages, plus I'm too cheap and paranoid to buy the present looking packages. (The paranoia comes from my mother. I'll have to write a post about our family Christmas' another day!)

I actually had some books that I was mailing back to my mother and I managed to get everything done in a day, since it didn't require wrapping. I felt that the winds of change were upon me and I was going to get past this awful affliction. Nope.

I set it in the car so I could take it to the post office next time I was out and about. Due to some interesting driving we have in California, the box managed to fall off the seat and slip under the driver's seat. There the package sat for 2 months, until my mother-in-law accidentally found it then mailed it for me. Somewhere in my mind, I had already mailed my mother that package,so imagine my surprise!

Fortunately I have a supportive husband who realizes my weakness and tries his best to mail it for me, once I get it to the package stage. If it hadn't been for my mother-in-law, those books would still be underneath the seat!

Here is a big THANK YOU to my friends and family for putting up with my inability to mail things. Even the not-so-gentle reminders are helpful. To my newer friends, you better hope I can shop on-line for you, otherwise you better have some patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment